Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

kayley, matthew and pine trees-broken backs for the lot of ya!

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. I know it seems as if I have a lot of drama in my life, and while it's true, I directly attribute it to the fact that I have 3 kids, a lot of people walk in and out of our lives , so we have so much going on at all times.

Please know in advance that what I'm about to write is very scary, if December 12 brings bad memories, please stop reading. If you do choose to keep reading, even though you know that date as the day you lost your precious child, know without a doubt, his memory lives on in my mind as it did 3 years ago, and will continue to do so as long as I live. I loved that little boy.

Wednesday was almost like any other day. Almost. Except that it was specifically Dec. 12. The day that our tight-knit community and one of my greatest inspirational friends lost her precious baby boy who went to heaven too early. He was 7. He had the most beautiful brown eyes, and I can still remember his voice. I made a promise to myself that I'd never be flippant about this specific date, and no matter where I was, or what I was doing, every Dec.12, I'd visit his grave, so his family would know how much he influenced me and how important he was.

I didn't get there.

My friend Lori had her 2 daughters and my little K on Wednesday. After school, they went to Sonic, got something yummy to drink, then headed back home. They passed the church where Matthew is buried, all knowing that we would all be going back later that evening to pay our respects. As soon as they passed the church, Lori veered into the other lane (was talking to the girls, turned her head for an instant, and bam), hit a huge Ford 350..broke his axle, flipped him a couple times, she ran into a retaining wall and was stopped by a pine tree.

All of this and I have no phone, no way for them to get a hold of me. Finally I went home to use the house phone, I knew something was wrong.

We ended up getting to the ER (this makesFOUR trips to the ER this fall.. helllooooo), they checked Kay out, told her she'd have some amazing bruises, and hurt like the dickens for a couple days and released her. Lori's girls are the same. Lori broke her back.

her back-yeah, totally serious. her spinal cord isn't damaged, though, so she's in a lot of pain, but she's not paralyzed, thank GOD.

Everyone I have talked to that saw the wreck can't believe no one died. Everyone was extremely lucky.

Anyway,. you're probably wondering how Matthew fits into all of this.. well, 3 years ago on the very night of Lori and the girl's car accident (down to the exact hour), we were all there in the ER. After we finally got Kay released, we walked through the ER, and as I looked to my right, there was the trauma bay where we all stood vigil 3 years ago. I just stared, kept my composure and asked God to ask Matthew to understand why we couldnt get out to the cemetary that night. God, in his own little way, still allowed us to feel closer and remember, and for that, I am truly thankful.

No comments: